Cost Savings and Economic Benefits of EPR
When EPR legislation is implemented, governments realize a big monetary savings, and recycling becomes more convenient for residents.
EPR Framework Multi-Program Savings
Metro Vancouver, British Columbia (pop. 2,524,000)
- $6.1 million –for collection of paint, solvents, pesticides, gasoline, used oil/filters/containers, and medications)
- 2,100 full time jobs generated by programs for beverage containers, tires, electronics, and used oil
- Reduced landfill costs and avoided contamination clean-up costs.
Download fact sheet – Full Report
E-waste Program Savings
Snohomish County, WA (pop 677,000)
- $550,000 saving per year
- $380,000 per year hauling and processing
- $170,000 per year collection cost at three transfer stations
- Plus, an additional 12 collection sites established in the County that are not run or paid for my the County.
Hennepin County, MN (pop. 1,137,000)
- Cost savings of $681,982 realized during the first program year of the Minnesota Electronics Recycling Act.
St. Louis County, MN (pop. 197,000)
- Cost savings of approximately $90,000 during the first program year of the e-waste law.
- As the result of agreements with manufacturers, the county was able to decrease drop-off fees by 80 percent for consumers from $8-12 per item to $1-2 per item.
Download report: MN Product Stewardship Recommendations (Jan 2009)
State of Maine (pop. 1,317,000)